FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - It was my fault: I was the guy trying to get 25k miles
Old Jan 17, 2007, 7:04 am
BamaVol
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by jerry crump
Could somebody explain to me, since everyone thinks they are just the incremental passenger that cost the airline almost no expense, which passenger on the plane is is the one they have to fly the flight for, pay the fuel, labor and depreciation for?
In some cases, that person isn't even on the flight. It's the 50th pax on the next flight and the airline has to get an a/c to his point of orgin.

Turn the question upside down and look at it this way. I pay for a $98 non-refundable ticket. I develop fear of flying, and choose to miss that flight. How much additional profit does the airline make on that flight vs. if I board? The answer is whatever their variable cost is. The plane still flies and uses $52,000 worth of jet fuel, incurs gate fees at both end. The pilots and FA's and ground crew still get paid. Maintenance will still be performed. The jet depreciates. But they save the cost of 1 can of diet coke, 1 biscoff cookie. 2 napkins (1 always falls on the floor) and whatever additional fuel is needed to transport my 180 pounds plus 50 pounds of baggage.

Last edited by BamaVol; Jan 17, 2007 at 7:16 am