FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Cabin Crew Vote 96% In Favour Of Strike Action
Old Jan 17, 2007, 4:07 am
ian001

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by tom911
So you're saying a strike, if there is one, must start no later than Feb 12 or so? I have another flight out of Gatwick Feb 17, so still worried about that one. Looks like my flight this Friday is safe, though I had a list of options if BA couldn't accommodate me.

Although I see a lot of support among BA forum posters for staff, I don't see much concern about itineraries. Are any of you out flying the next month worried about getting stuck somewhere if they do strike? Is availability going to be that great on alternate carriers on routes that BA is a major player?
I don't know a great deal about labour law, but based on what's been posted here, a strike in respect of this ballot has to happen within 28 days and the unions have to give 7 days' notice of a strike.

There is also the possibility of a compromise being agreed, and then there being a new ballot of staff for industrial action based on the compromise agreement. Given that there had been significant developments on the issue of pensions in the week before the result of the ballot was announced, this could be a possibility. So this could run and run.

As for itineries, if there was a strike during half-term, then it would be a meltdown at LHR. Outside of half-term, January is a relatively quiet month for travel.