FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin City Center, Washington D.C. [Master Thread]
Old Jan 15, 2007, 2:51 pm
gleff
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by lat
I just booked a spg point stay at this hotel for a long weekend during Easter in April this year. Is this a brand new hotel or is it renovated from something else? Does anyone know?
As mentioned above, it's a reflagged Wyndham (owned by Columbia Sussex).

Now, they are doing some renovations to the hotel. But in it's life as a Wyndham it was the absolute worst property top to bottom I've experienced in the past couple of years. I had an event at work there which got put together with just a couple months advance notice, and at the very end of September this past year nearly everything was sold out in town (truly). In the end we bit the bullet and scheduled it at this hotel.

I ate dinner at the hotel restaurant the night before the event. During dinner the ceiling started to leak and then flood, with water coming in through the recessed lighting. The response team came in and set up dryers and such. We couldn't hear each other talk. Think they comped a dessert? Nope...

Simple requests went unmet, some of the rooms in our block turned out to be unavailable, hotel management was unhelpful. And I was spending over $70k.

Perhaps the Westin changeover will make a difference. Perhaps the staff will have turned over substantially, and those that didn't will be retrained. And the fresher look, combined with updated rooms, should help. My negative experiences here were while it was a Wyndham. But I'll be looking for some positive reviews before giving it a try myself.

I also have a reservation at Westin Arlington based on the review here. I am a plat. member so at Arlington, I will have club access. However, the location for this one seems to be better for sightseeing.
Westin Arlington is a new property, it will be one year old (just!) when you get there. The Ballson area is not much for sightseeing, but it's right next to a mid-market mall and associated eateries, and right by the Ballston metro (orange line) so you're an easy shot right into the city.

Club access is a plus. Not a ton of suites at this property, though, so don't set that as an expectation (if you want a suite, look into the Westin Embassy Row.. but that's a tired property in need of renovation).