FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Businesswomen goes to India- What do I wear?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 7:42 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Athena53
I was about to suggest the salwar- I have 3 of them! Interestingly, most of the ladies in my office in Gurgaon (suburb of Delhi) wear "business casual" now, but I love salwars because they're pretty and as comfortable as walking around in pajamas. The long tunic part hides a multitude of figure faults. The locals appreciate it, too- they always note happily that I'm wearing a salwar. I wear them to church here in Kansas once in awhile, and they blend in pretty well.

And, if you're a jewelry connoisseur, definitely check out the jewelry. My colleagues took me to Mehrason's in Delhi and they charge about 20% over the intrinsic value of the gold for bangles, and the workmanship is beautiful. The place is jammed with women buying wedding jewelry. I'm going back in May and buying more!
Foreign business professionals wearing any of a variety of national outfits there (including kameez salwar/salwar kameez) isn't something I'd necessarily suggest for wearing to work .... unless a long-time, repeat visitor there.

Did you go to the Mehrasons in Connaught Place, Karol Bagh, or South Extension? May is going to be boiling hot month ... but at least then it won't be as busy and the A/C stores will be a nice break from the heat. Certainly, Mehrasons is traditionally the jeweller of choice for the Delhi establishment. Some things never change.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 15, 2007 at 7:53 am