FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Businesswomen goes to India- What do I wear?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 7:25 am
Athena53

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 3timesalady
@:-) meggles, while you're in India, why don't you buy a salwar for yourself? They are appropriately conservative, much much much more comfortable than anything you would probably wear to the office in the US, and it would be a nice souvenir to take back with you. You should also buy bangles and a diamond set to go with it... but that's more just for you.
I was about to suggest the salwar- I have 3 of them! Interestingly, most of the ladies in my office in Gurgaon (suburb of Delhi) wear "business casual" now, but I love salwars because they're pretty and as comfortable as walking around in pajamas. The long tunic part hides a multitude of figure faults. The locals appreciate it, too- they always note happily that I'm wearing a salwar. I wear them to church here in Kansas once in awhile, and they blend in pretty well.

And, if you're a jewelry connoisseur, definitely check out the jewelry. My colleagues took me to Mehrason's in Delhi and they charge about 20% over the intrinsic value of the gold for bangles, and the workmanship is beautiful. The place is jammed with women buying wedding jewelry. I'm going back in May and buying more!