FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US Agent: No exit row for you! (1K/StarGold)
Old Jan 13, 2007, 5:05 pm
BlatheringPenguin

Originally Posted by kkjay77
Was the exit row in E+ section? If so, then as a US*G, you cannot reserve it. However, if it's a non-E+ exit row (eg. row 46 on 744 or row 39 on us ver. 772), then you can reserve it.
Interesting distinction.

The aggressive supervisor moved my seats to middle rows in the back of the plane for every leg. The nice agent, during her apologies after the supervisor rang off the line, moved me back to aisles/windows in the front few rows. These front rows have never been available to me when booking (or reseating on the web) on US's web site, though I've never been sure whether that was due to some 'reserved premium seating policy' or just because they were full. I am now suspecting that HP (and US) block out aisles/windows near the front of the plane for elites and that the agent has access to those for *Gold without a supervisor, but only has access to the exit row for *Gold with a supervisor.

I'm still trying to figure out if US/HP rules do not allow for pre-reserving exit row seats for non-US *Gold. With the number of times I've successfully done it in the past 5-6 months I'd be very surprised if I've just been 'slipping through the cracks'.

What's bizarre to me (although obviously the supervisor and agent couldn't see this) is that so much of my travel has been on US/HP recently that if I had credited it to US rather than UA I would have at least mid-tier elite status.

I'm very tempted to cancel this refundable ticket and rebook on another airline (UA), even if the schedule is less convenient for me. But, I'll probably wait until I'm sure what the rules are. (I'm actually less inclined to cancel and move this trip to UA if it turns out I've just been extraordinarily lucky with getting exit rows pre-reserved and the rules have finally caught up with me. On the other hand this supervisor went way overboard in her handling of me.)

cheers,
-BP