FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New MasterCard PayPass Utilizes Contactless Card Payment Technology
Old Jan 13, 2007, 3:07 pm
STAM4NICK

Originally Posted by mia
Is the phone version integrated into the electronics of the device in any fashion, or does the phone's case merely hold the chip?
Originally Posted by mia
Is the phone version integrated into the electronics of the device in any fashion, or does the phone's case merely hold the chip?
It is integrated under the ear piece on the outside above the outside screen. (It is a flip phone) It is called NFC technology or Near Field Communications called this by Nokia). It allows 2 way communications. I can even wave my phone by select posters and download multimedia information. So I presume that the phone's chips and processors are able to operate the NFC RF chip (PayPass) since I can turn it off and on and ask for passcode to allay security concerns.

The phone is a prototype Nokia 6131, which is basically just an updated 6126. Nokia issued a press release on the 6131 model.

Japan naturally has had this technology for many years, and I believe Taiwan has it now in widespread use.