FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Businesswomen goes to India- What do I wear?
Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:33 pm
3timesalady

Originally Posted by Steve Fenton
For an average US`women you will need a major lesson how to talk quiet and then how stop people thinking that you think you rule the world regardless of the facts and then you might want to consider the average amount of food an American eats in one day is about a the same as an rural dweller will eat in a month. Dont mean to sound too harsh but recent experiences and talking to Indian Natioanlas I am simply relaying what they see and feel
A little harsh, don't you think -- esp since the OP was just looking for advice on what to wear (and since the question indicates a lack of boorishness on her part, I would think).

meggles, as an Indian brought up in US, I am very comfortable wearing slacks, short-sleeve shirts, etc to work here, but I tend to be more conservative in India. I generally wear longer (below the knee) skirts or dresses. I have no issue wearing short-sleeve shirts since sari blouses and many salwars are short-sleeved, but agree that sleeveless shirts are a no-no.

That said, you are probably find in bigger cities wearing pants and the like. I am usually in India with my non-working and much older relatives. A decidedly more conservative group.