FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto
View Single Post
Old Jan 7, 2007, 3:12 pm
abmj-jr

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by Zhaunk
... Am I correct in figuring the fare from Tokyo to Kyoto? (without a pass, of course)
Nozumi is 7980+5540 for a reserved seat
Hikara is 7980+5240 for reserved

Are there any charges I'm missing? Do you think I would have problems without a reservation on Nozumi trains in mid-June?
Current oneway prices for Tokyo-Kyoto are 13,720 yen (Nozomi) and 13,420 yen for the Hikari - a difference of less than $3.00 US each way. The Nozomi averages about 20-25 minutes faster for the 513 km trip. Very little difference in price and not much faster travel. Most of the longer Hikari time comes from additional station stops rather than significantly lower speed.

So, for ONLY the Tokyo-Kyoto-Tokyo roundtrip, there is not really all that much difference between Nozomi and Hikari RailStar. The advantage in the Rail Pass comes with convenience and the fact that it covers all that other travel - Narita Express, Yamanote Line, Kyoto-Nara or Osaka, if you do that.
YMMV.

As for shinkansen reservations, I have never needed one in advance. I just buy my ticket a day or two in advance and have always gotten great seats. Even day-of purchases are usually fine, although you may need to opt for unreserved seats in the last couple of cars rather than reserved, assigned seating up front.

June is not a high travel time in Japan, although it IS the typhoon season. Be prepared for weather.

JR

Last edited by abmj-jr; Jan 7, 2007 at 3:32 pm