FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown [Master Thread]
Old Jan 2, 2007, 4:26 pm
rhetor

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
I just returned from a 3-night stay and my experience was very mixed. The club floor room I got as a PM had a great view (24th floor) but the room itself was pretty small and in desperate need of renovation--crumbling paint, floorboards ripped off, door has an 1"-wide gap at the bottom, etc. The bathroom was very small as well and poor water pressure. That being said, it was not awful, the bed was comfortable, and we were high enough so that the street noise didn't bother us.
Reception folks were pleasant (Plat. amenity in addition to 500 points is a locally made bottle of root beer ) and professional but the lounge is less than impressive. The woman that staffs it in the morning is amazingly oblivious to social niceities (like saying "hello" when greeted). The woman that staffs it in the evening is much friendlier. Neither of them really do much other than sit at the front desk and surf the internet. Breakfast is fine (selection of fruit, sugary doughnuts, juices, cold cereals and oatmeal) but the "evening cocktails" leave a lot to be desired (all alcohol is very expensive--I think it was $9 for a glass of low-end wine, $6 for a beer). The hors d'oeurves were vegetables and dip and a chaffing dish with non-descript fried stuff. There is another room with a second TV that has a desk w/ computer that is available for you to use the internet. I never saw anyone else use it in the time I was there--that was nice. Note that the lounge closes after breakfast on Friday and doesn't open again until Monday morning. Another thing I want to note is that all the fruit that isn't eaten in the morning (and there is quite a bit of it) is unceremoniously scrapped into a garbage can as soon as the clock says breakfast is over--what a huge waste of perfectly good food; I would have thought that the kitchen downstairs could have made use of it or they could arrange for someone to bring it to a food bank. The sullen woman on breakfast duty just rolled her eyes when my wife asked if there wasn't some better use to which the fruit could be put.
I didn't check out the gym, but I know they have one.
All in all, this is a fairly run-down property with a pretty uneven staff (housekeepers ranged from friendly to surly) but it was relatively cheap and the location was very good (7-minute walk to convention center, 10-minutes to Rittenhouse Square area, nice 15-minute stroll to Museum of Art). Even with the renovations, I doubt this will ever be a top-notch property--the rooms are just too small--but if the price is right, I would go back. The trick is to have realistic expectations.