FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands [Master Thread]
Old Dec 25, 2006, 1:59 pm
anaggie

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Arrow Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands [Master Thread]

Stayed at the Westin Grand Cayman Dec 14-19th....here are my comments:

Having stayed at the Westin Los Cabos and the Westin Puerto Vallarta, this Westin was a huge disappointment....

Here are the big negatives:

1) Room -- looks like a upgraded Holiday Inn -- not the expected Westin bathroom...this was the first westin my wife went to after all I had told her and she was very disppointed...so now Iwill have to take her to a real WESTIN....

2) Service -- not the expected service from a Westin ... but this might be because this is a British ruled .. therefore the service....not personal...very stuffy

3) cost -- expensive for a Upgraded Holiday Inn --I was paying 440/night for a partial oceanfront view (got an oceanfront view -- thru SPG GOLD status)

4) Not Accomodating -- I was travelling with my 1yr old baby and all I asked for was an in room microwave -- actually asked 3 hotel workers -- front desk -- and they could do nothing...but 1 of them suggest that I upgrade to a suite for the microwave at a rate of 1400USD per night....wow..I might have been born at night, but not last night...

5) Concierge was terrible-- I asked her for the restaurant suggestions for something that is hot/Spicy with lots of flavoran and seafood .. she kept recommending the Lobster Pot...so I look at the menu which is very similar to Red Lobster...soI told her no thanks and again explained to her what type of food I was looking for and her next recommendation is Calayso Grill -- not what I as looking for...finally I gave up...and did my own research by asking the bellboys and local people at the restaurant called EATS across the restaurant which is basically a diner which has a huge collection of dishes....I would actually recommend this instead of the breakfast at the WESTIN...much cheaper. Now I am not a tightwad, but there is not a breakfast worth $50.00 in the world....

Postives:

1) The pool is GREAT for little ones and big ones....

2) the view is amazing from the oceanfront room on the 5th floor....highest floor possible

3) Spa was good according to my wife but very expensive...in fact the whole island is expensive...but that is resered for a Grand Cayman trip report...

4) food is OK...nothing to write home about -- but there is a 4 diamond restaurant on the property...did not try it..the menu did not appeal to me...

5) Beach is AMAZING...

BTW, I did talk to some people and they said that the Ritz is at the same price level or a little bit more...but it was booked for my dates...

I would have rather stayed at the Ritz than at this hotel....If I do go to Cayman again, I would not stay at this hotel....but I am a traveler who will not go to the same place over and over again....

Overall, this hotel get 3 stars out of 5.....

Last edited by anaggie; Dec 25, 2006 at 3:24 pm