FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IC Montreal Archive Thread (prior to January 01, 2011)
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:13 am
vsevolod4

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
It should really be a CP hotel

I've stayed in the Montreal IC about 35 times now. Although I like the many boutique hotels in town (St. Sulpice, St. James, XIX Siecle, Nelligan, St. Paul, etc.), I use it to help stay RA.

Pluses:
- Not too far from Vieux-Montreal, although it is on the periphery (5 min walk to Notre Dame Cathedral; 7 minutes to Place Jacques Cartier; I think I must walk twice as fast as other posters)
- Some shopping in the attached mall, and underground passage to the Metro.
- Inexpensive by IC standards
- Fairly efficient.

Minuses:
- Their nice pub (Plume) closes early (it's mostly a business crowd) and closed on weekends. If you are there visiting, this really sucks because the other bar (Cristal) is very sterile and for food, the other restaurant is too formal.
- Bad upgrades. They don't have few suites (one per floor) and only one suite that has two beds. So if you want a suite upgrade ask for a King Bed; you will be better off.
- Upgrades do NOT include Club privileges, unlike many other IC hotels. They charge you.
- RA Free Minibar does not include alcohol. The stated reason is "Quebec law does not allow free alcohol" but there are plenty of Happy Hours in town with discounted or 2-for-1 drinks. I'm sure they could do something like charge 1 cent per drink, or give you a $30 credit towards minibar consumption, whatever. Or substitute some other perks (such as Club privileges where, by the way, you can get free drinks, or free breakfast) to compensate. Or at least give you a free bottle of wine as a gift. Basically, I feel they're just stingy.
- Lobby on the second floor.

I've stayed in CP hotels which are superior in service and perks to the IC Montreal.