FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Two Weeks Car Rental YVR-YYC in July - Advice Needed
Old Dec 12, 2006, 12:24 pm
SmilingBoy

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Two Weeks Car Rental YVR-YYC in July - Advice Needed

Hello,

planning my first vacation to North America, and it looks like it will be Western Canada in July. So the idea was to rent a car in YVR and drive to YYC in two weeks or so. Being from Europe, I know that the rental car market is very different in North America (a lot cheaper mainly, but also more taxes), so I was wondering if you have some advice.

I have checked 19 July to 5 August with Hertz, Alamo (who forwarded me to National) and Avis. National seems to be very cheap (CAD 860 all-in for a full size or a standard), Hertz more expensive (CAD 1100 all-in for a full-size or standard using a SN Brussels Airlines AWD) and Avis says it is sold out.

Does this sound like the right amount for 17 days? Why is Avis sold out more than half a year in advance? Do the various corporate rates I have through FFP or hotel programs reduce the rate significantly even for such long rentals? Are there any other car rental companies I should consider (Sixt and Europcar do not seem to be active in Canada)? Do you think it is worth it to take a cab from the airport to an off-site location to reduce tax? And would airport tax be required for drop-offs at an airport? What is the difference between full-size and standard?

I have 'elite' status on Lufthansa (Senator), Eurostar (Carte Blanche) and Hilton (Silver, not very elite, I know) and lots of basic memberships.

Sorry - lots of questions - but I would be grateful for any help or pointers where to get more information.

Thanks!

SmilingBoy.