FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No flames - just need to understand...
View Single Post
Old Dec 4, 2006, 1:33 am
Prospero
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I'd like to add a warm welcome to Fourier.

Running through your options in reverse order:

I would think carefully about option three. The fares quoted for ex FRA, CDG and AMS are fantastic compared with ex LHR but not worth the hassle in my view. You'll need to factor in the cost of positioning flights and perhaps an additional nights stay at an airport hotel. Any benefit gained to your mind and well being by travelling Club World to ORD will progressively wilt away on the return as you endure multiple connections and short haul sectors. Believe me, you will arrive back in EDI in just a wretched state as if you travelled WT across the atlantic.

Upgrading from WT to WT+. Not possible on a £600 fare. The underlying ticket needs to be semi or fully flexible to be eligible for MFU.

I would recommend your first option but wait until the end of the month before booking. I'd expect the EDI-ORD fare to drop to £900-£950 during the World Offers sale. Expectation based on a complete through booking but further savings inevitable should you choose to book domestic and transatlantic tickets separately. Usual caveat applies - allow plenty of time for LHR connection.