FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What do I need to declare at customs?
View Single Post
Old Nov 22, 2006, 4:55 pm
Telfes

Originally Posted by seat 50J
You must declare ALL items purchased on the blue customs form. If you bought less than $400, I believe, you can walk through the green line.
This is a bit unclear. If you look at the federal statutes listed on top of the blue customs form, it states (paraphrasing as I don't have it with me) that you must declare your items, but that if you are under the dutiable limit, you MAY declare them verbally. The forms say declare everything. I am willing to make a verbal declaration if asked, but I do not choose to make a written declaration of anything beyond value unless coerced and after a review and dicussion of the relevant statute, which I try to carry with me (try = unless I forget). I never write down what I buy if I am under the dutiable limit and I have never had a problem with submitting a form that gives a dollar value of the goods, but no listing of the goods. I have heard of customs agents who demand that and leave the poor vics to write the list under supervision & when I see a slow line with what looks like such behavior, I generally switch lines to one that is shorter, quicker, looks more compliant with the MAY clause in the law. I don't think it is really any interest of the US government that I bought 2 paperback books at a value of us$28 during my last trip. They can know the value, but the specifics - I'll tell if asked, but will resist being forced to write reports to Big Brother.