FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Keep Delta My Delta" Campaign
View Single Post
Old Nov 18, 2006, 7:00 am
ClipperDelta

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by justageek
Who is the "my" in "my Delta"?

Don't Delta's creditors effectively own Delta -- in which case it is really "their" Delta?

Or am I misunderstanding the situation? (Which is quite possible--I'm only going on the insufficiently detailed news reports I've read.)
Yes, technically and financially the creditors own Delta; the 'my' here is symbolic, spiritual, whatever you want to call it - the rallying call - after all, there would be no Delta without its employees. Many attributes of Delta that we like are the result of the work of all of Delta's employees, be they management or rank-and-file.

Originally Posted by RobertLeach
So, I think the Delta "family" -- "our" Delta -- is being reborn and reconstituted, and it just gripes my butt to think that we would stand by and let a bunch of third rate airline operators like those in Phoenix take over the company, just as Delta is getting its act together again..)
I couldn't agree more. As one who spends a significant amount of time on Delta, I have come to feel that DL is my somewhat extended family that is finally coming together again. As I flew the inaugural JFK-BOM a few weeks ago, and the recent LGW-JFK inaugural, I could sense some real excitement in the air and a sense of a rebirth.

While flying on multiple DL international and domestic flights in the last few days since the news, I couldn't help but feel pangs of sadness, regret, and yes, even some anger, as I looked around at the refurbished interiors, the AVOD PTVs, the cleaner airplanes, the smart uniforms, the smiling FAs, etc., that this fast turnaround (not just in the physical product, but the airline as a whole) executed by the whole Delta team, could all be for nought if this US (or any other merger/acquisition) deal went through. I am not necessarily concerned about the material and physical changes of the product, etc., but the fact the slowly-rebuilding traditional Delta family spirit, for years so elusive and yet now within reach again, could all be vaporized in one fell swoop.

Last edited by ClipperDelta; Nov 18, 2006 at 7:05 am