FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can't get a job as an air marshall? Here's the next best thing!
Old Dec 21, 2001, 10:04 am
FoothillFlyer

Location: Valley Springs, Ca USA;Proud Retired AAer SJC Ramp/ AA- 2 MM Platinum;Hilton Diamond
Can't get a job as an air marshall? Here's the next best thing!

I just listened to this program being promoted on a San Francisco radio station and I haven't noticed it mentioned here yet.

At www.flightwatchol.com you can sign up to be part of a program to help defend a comandeered airliner, working with air marshalls and flight crew. Special training sessions are available.

Such sage advice as "Don't kill the hijackers if you don't have to," is contained on the site, referring to the need to keep them alive for interrogation.

ID cards are issued to members, identifying them as members. The section about these cards states:

"The Flight Watch ID Card is one on the most important elements of the Flight Watch volunteer program. This picture ID Card identifies you as a Flight Watch trained volunteer. It also verifies your specific skills and training. Presenting your card to the Airline Company at check-in allows the flight crew to seat you in a strategic location in order to quickly access people with specific skills in an emergency. You will also be eligible for various upgrades and benefits programs offered by the Airlines. A criminal background check, fingerprints and other biometric identification will be required."

Neither I nor anyone associated with security I asked about this has ever heard of this program. The security personnnel I spoke with at AA indicated a passenger who identified himself as a "specially trained volunteer," complete with an ID card, requesting "special seating" might soon find themselves speaking with the FBI. And how about those upgrades, Frequent Travelers?

Anyway, it is an interesting site to look at.