FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - your favorite restaurants in bangkok? chian mai? chang rai?
Old Nov 17, 2006, 6:57 am
Peter4

Originally Posted by teacher5
favorite restaurants in bangkok? ... i know i can read all the guides i purchased.
You asked for favorite restaurants.
You didn't specify only fancy or expensive.
You won't read about this one in the ordinary guidebooks.

First what to order, then where:

Expensive restaurant food is available in every major city in the world.
Instead, I look for the best of the local, home-style food.
My favorite home-style food in Bangkok is egg noodles topped with fresh crab meat, roasted red pork, and dumplings.
The taste is more delicious than I know how to describe.

The name in Thai language: "Baa-mee-bpoo".

This is not fancy dining on top of a tall building.
This is the sort of food that ordinary Thai people eat often.
For the best "baa-mee-pboo", you'll be sitting on a plastic stool, at a rickety, metal table, alongside the pavement, and eating with chopsticks and a spoon.
In Bangkok, about 40 baht for a regular bowl, about 60 baht for a large serving: US$ 1.00 - 1.50.
If you leave any tip the cook will run after you to return the money you "forgot".

Many street carts serve baa-mee-bpoo, but for best quality in Bangkok, my favorite location is underneath the BTS skytrain station at Thonglor, at the top of Sukhumvit soi 38.
Apparently many Thai people agree, because there are always lots of expensive, late model cars, full of well-dressed Thais coming to eat there -- when they clearly could afford to eat just about anywhere.
Other diners will be late-shift workers just finishing work, students still in their university uniforms, taxi drivers taking a break, and prostitutes with their clients (who, also, clearly could afford to eat just about anywhere).

For dessert, order fresh mango with sticky rice and sweet sauce made from coconut-milk.
In Thai: "kao-nee-ao mah-moo-ahng".

It's a delicious meal, combined with a gentle adventure in "the real Bangkok", far away from any tourist restaurants.

Opens about 7:00 PM.
The fresh crab runs out around 1:00 AM.
If you are going by skytrain, be aware the trains stop running soon after midnight.

Hmmm ... I'm getting hungry!
Let's see: It's 9:15 PM in Bangkok now ... plenty of time to get over there tonight.

If you have specific questions, you are welcome to send email or private message.

- Peter

Last edited by Peter4; Nov 17, 2006 at 7:16 am