FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wireless in Thailand
View Single Post
Old Nov 17, 2006, 6:56 am
martian

Originally Posted by transpac
Well it's anything but easy, but once you have it set-up it is a great service.

All mini-mart retail outlets (7-11, Family Mart, mom & pop) sell top-up cards. You should pay for these in cash. Not all of these outlets sell SIMs. You should plan on visiting mobile phone shop to purchase a SIM. (There are more mobile phone shops than mini-marts so it should be easy.) It used to be that you had to "register" a SIM upon purchase, and for this you would need your passport. I'm not sure if this is still being enforced.

Just to re-cap, you would buy a SIM and top-up cards by paying in cash (Thai Baht). As you make calls, send SMS or subscibe for a GPRS service, your remaining balance decreases. Each month I receive an SMS saying my monthly GPRS package has been renewed, and that 107 baht has been taken from my balance for payment. You can check you balance, and expiration date, by entering *121#. You will get a text message as a response. Alternatively you can dial 900121 to hear the same information.

Telewiz shops are a sort of retail arm for AIS/1-2-Call, so possibly a good all-in-one stop? There is a great Telewiz shop at MBK, ground floor (street level) in the left-front (near) corner if facing the complex from the BTS Skytrain platform. They helped me set up my GPRS service.

If you have the phone already practice setting up connectivity between it and your PC. Also make sure that Windows recognizes it as a modem. If using a Nokia handset I recommend Nokia PC Suite.

If I am around when you arrive I will help you.

Thanks do much for the offer of help. This does sound a bit complex.

Why is it necessary to pay in cash for the SIM and topup cards?