FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wireless in Thailand
View Single Post
Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:52 am
transpac
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by martian
Hi, if you have a minute, would you mind explaining this a bit more. I checked out their website but can't find anything about Internet access. Do I basically have to buy a SIM card from them and keep reloading it using their service? and then I call them and they will help me connect it to my laptop? Will I need to speak Thai to be able to figure this out?

Thanks again for your help?
Oh, I see we're back on topic. BTW, The Big Mango is not a brothel, it is a casual bar/restaurant. It is not unusual to see two or three people there with laptops or PDAs working. I would not have recommnded it if I thought there would be any issues whatsoever.

1.) Buy a mobile phone which is unlocked, supports GSM 900/1800, has a GPRS modem, and which can be connected to your notebook PC (via a serial, USB, IR, Bluetooth).

2.) Buy a 1-2-Call SIM (250 baht comes with 50 baht of talk time). Maybe top-up with a 300 or 500 baht top-up card.

3.) Call 1175 from you mobile phone, press 2 to speak with an English-language CSR. Ask about GPRS packages (pay as you go, monthly recurring), enroll, ask for set-up instructions.

4.) Set-up a dial-up connection

There are a lot of issues/variables to sort out; I've had to set-up ~ 6 different computers for friends and each one has been a challenge. But once you get it working it's a great service.

Go to www.mobilelife.co.th , scroll down, on the left-hand side, and choose "GPRS Package".