FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wireless in Thailand
View Single Post
Old Nov 15, 2006, 9:53 pm
martian

Originally Posted by transpac

Khon Kaen will be a bit more challenging. When I do not have broadband or WiFi access, especially in Issan, I use GPRS. I have pre-paid mobile phone service from 1-2-Call, (DTAC and TrueMove also offer GPRS.), and they offer a lot of GPRS packages. I subscribe monthly for 25 hours for 107 baht (the 7 baht is VAT). I get full GPRS data rates (80 kbp/s) throughout Thailand. Essentially you are using your phone as a modem, and 1-2-Call as an ISP. You'll need a GPRS capable phone. If a 1-2-Call pre-paid subscriber just call 1175, press 2, and the CSR can help you set up GPRS. I use a Nokia handset and Nokia PC-Suite which offer One Touch Access (no configuration), but you can set up this type of connection as a dial-up conection. I believe the number is *99#, with no username or password (CPID serves that function).

Hi, if you have a minute, would you mind explaining this a bit more. I checked out their website but can't find anything about Internet access. Do I basically have to buy a SIM card from them and keep reloading it using their service? and then I call them and they will help me connect it to my laptop? Will I need to speak Thai to be able to figure this out?

Thanks again for your help?