FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seattle Gay Nightlife Review
View Single Post
Old Nov 12, 2006, 7:37 pm
saint82

Gay Maps are getting useless

Originally Posted by westcoastman
Looking at a recent "FunMap" this issue of only plugging advertisers seems to be getting worse. I hope they don't go that direction cause it only hurts their product. While Damron tries to improve its product it still seems like more of a "list" of businesses. And most importantly in many cities the popular clubs change with the wind...
Recently, I was in Denver for the first time in about three years. I tried to use the gay maps but they were extremely frustrating and almost useless. I had to put three guides together to make anything that was helpful. A bar that I had fun at when I was there last, "Wranglers" wasn't even listed. I had to call to see if they were still open. I'm glad I did. I had a great time.

One of the things that I appreciate when I go to Madrid or Sitges, is that they have an annual gay map with ALL of the businesses listed. It makes things much much easier. I would also think that it makes good economic sense since it encourages tourism.

I am very tired of "gay maps" that list nothing more than their advertisers. I know that they have to make money, and they do so with advertising, but the product that they produce by that method are better to use to line birdcages. Can't they list them all, and then do something extra for their advertisers?

Instead of the maps, I use things like pinkagenda.com and other web resources. I'm not particularly interested in who paid you off so they can be listed. That is why the person who listed the guide to gay nightlife in Seattle has done such a service. I may make a special trip to Seattle!