FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question 3: Review the underlying principles and philosophy of FlyerTalk moderation.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 9:18 am
kokonutz
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in CUZCO, PERU
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Moderators are here to enhance (and no, not in the Continental Airlines definition of the term "enhance") the user experience. For many users, it's a totally different experience. But remember, we were all "newbies" once - and as a newbie, it can be intimidating to post on FlyerTalk sometimes - so, yes, there may be occassions when a moderator has to step in & say "okay kids, that's enough" - and I'll be honest - I've done that before. I've shut down threads for a 12-hour timeout because I've felt the people have gotttried to en out of hand. How can we encourage the sharing of ideas here on FlyerTalk if we're calling each other idiots and morons? Remember the Golden Rule - do unto others as you would have done to you? Well, have you ever tried to join a tightly knit community of people? Remember your first day at a new school - being the new kid at the playground? Ever have a first day at a new job where everyone else knows each other? Were you ever intimidated during those times? If you were, then you probably understand why we have to have moderators at all.
With all due respect, and you KNOW I love ya from the DC HHs, the concept that some moderators have that we are a bunch of kids and the moderators are the schoolmarms puts my panites in a bunch.

We're all adults here and no one needs a 'timeout.' If folks lose their heads and need to be talked to, talk to them.

I understand that moderators can play a role in welcoming new posters, but this is not school. It's not a playground. It is a conversation among adults; an opportunity to learn, have fun and grow a sense of community. We dont need to be lectured about right and wrong, acceptance nor tolerance.

And we CERTAINLY dont need condescending thread closures like "ok, kids, that's enough."

That attitude will kill the Flyertalk community faster than anything. It is what drives people away and keeps them from coming back.

As for the moderator guidelines, I would hope that the rules that the mods live by would be made public. How else are we to know whether a Mod is just doing his or her job or is instead abusing his or her position?