FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question 11: OMNI
View Single Post
Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:06 pm
bhatnasx
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
This question was submitted by ScottC:
Please state your views on the "Omni forum", whether you feel it is a valuable part of the board, or just a place to have some fun.
I feel that its both - a place to have fun & a valuable part of the board. It's not a forum I read or participate in very often at all - however, I appreciate that its there and I know just how much it means to many of our members, so, even though I personally don't use it or go into it often, I think its a good thing for FlyerTalk.

Please also state your views for Omni in the future and whether there should be a limitation on the ratio of miles/points posts to Omni posts or a limitation on the scope of the discussion (like banning politics or religion).
I do believe there should be some sort of ratio of miles/points to Omni posts. There's the philosophy on FlyerTalk that is "I came for the points & miles and stayed for the community" - and I think its great. However, I do believe that in order to be a productive member of this community, one's posts can be rants and arguments in Omni, but a mixture of the community of FlyerTalk and the community of Omni. This board's purpose is miles and points - not "so, seriously, how WILL the segway bubble end? No, really?" (a real topic on the top of the Omni page at the time that I am posting this). However, the poster that posted that (and I don't mean to pick on anyone) is a member who is self described as "DL PM, .5MM; F9 Ascent; Marriott Platinum Premier" with over 2000 posts under his belt - so, this poster has an interest in travel and an interest in Omni. A poster who only posts in Omni, doesn't really belong on FlyerTalk, IMHO.

In terms of limiting politics or religion, I don't think it should be banned. As long as its discussed in a civil manner, it shouldn't be limited - it should only be limited when it can't be discussed with civility.