FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premium Economy mini-Reviews
View Single Post
Old Nov 5, 2006, 6:04 am
ajnz

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
OK, so I thought I'd get around to filling the questionnaire out. :-)

Route / Plane LAX-LHR, B747-400 ZK-NBW.
Day/Night flight Afternoon->night->morning, I guess.
Seat No. (aisle / window / middle) 23C (exit row aisle, old config)
Check in ok? Checkin was fine, but I had access to the Biz checkin by virtue of *G. My upgrade from economy had not cleared at checkin, but cleared approx. 45 minutes from departure while in the Koru Club. They pre-seated me in 23C. I was in 31C in Economy.
Seat comfort (width ok?) I found the width a little lacking, certainly not as nice as the old Biz seats, but reasonably OK. I could leave things sitting beside me in the seat alright. I do have to point out that 23ABC had the only spare seat in it, resulting in an empty middle for me. The gentleman in 23A got an on-board op-up to biz to sit with his wife (at his request), allowing 23B to move over to 23A. The rest of PE was 100% full, which is why I hadn't been able to buy a seat in PE originally!
Legroom Legroom in the exit row is great, certainly can't complain. I didn't notice any issues with the carts or flight attendants. The carts were not left in that area for snacks. The leg rest, however, was useless.
Ease of getting in and out No problem in the exit row. I think it might be a little more difficult in the seats further back.
Food Standard economy fare. I can't even remember what I ate - chicken I think. Certainly not memorable, and depressing to receive after watching business get served first.
Drink I had requested a pre-departure champagne upon boarding, to which I received a very "hell no" response from the FA, and felt like I was from Mars. They had a full tray of Champagne which ended up being disposed of as virtually nobody in Biz upper deck drank any.

I still have no clarification of whether this is a PE service! Does anyone know?

The rest of the drink was fine - 42 Below vodka was available, the wines that I had were fine (Sauvignon Blanc, dessert wine). The cheese selection was it's usual self.
FA attentiveness I felt this is where the product was significantly let down. The FAs seemed to treat us like regular Economy, or worse, passengers. I certainly felt no additional attention for being in a more premium class, or being NZ*G. I felt the FAs really let this flight down. This was the UK based crew, though. I've had colleagues travel with NZ based crew and have had the opposite opinion, so that leaves me hopeful...
AVOD Fine - only the usual complaints (slow; can't listen to music while watching the map).
Would you do it again? Yes - if only to secure the extra legroom and have a potentially cheaper upgrade to business. I'm currently looking at PE to LAX over Christmas (if I can convince myself there's no point to be in AKL, and it's looking like there isn't). Tentatively looking at NZ6 outbound, NZ3 inbound, so would be on the 772 return which I don't really want to do, as there's that much less upgrade opportunity into biz!