FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Passengers who don't turn off their devices
Old Oct 31, 2006, 4:01 am
mvoight
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by AA53
Several years ago, a WN flight from SAT to DAL couldn't land because a cell phone interfered with the flight nav. The pilot turned the plane around and returned to SAT. The offending pax was found and arrested.. Follow instructions or take the chance...and I will call the FA.
This sounds like something for Snopes.
That reminds me of the West Wing pilot (pardon the pun) episode.

Do the safety of the aircraft really depend on everyone turning off there phones and other electronics? If it were REALLY dangerous, wouldn't they be banned from the aircraft???? After all, if they can ban dangerous stuff like Starbucks or 3 1/4 oz tubes of toothpaste, it can't be that hard to detect someone carrying a phone.
I was a bit consfused after clearing US immigration at YVR the other day.
I went through security and a small bottle of water was found.
Of course, this being Canada, they simply wanted me to drink some of it.

So, here's the "security" issue, but don't tell TSA.

I can bring a bottle of WATER from landside in Canada. I can clear security in Canada with the bottle, and now I am airside in the US , as if I came in on a domestic flight, and can board a US departing aircraft with this outside purchased bottle of water..... Now, if TSA doesn't think this is a security threat, then how can a bottle purchased landside in the US be a threat?