FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it true that you have to have an annual income of $60,000 to obtain an AmEx plat??
Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:59 pm
karthik

Programs: CO Silver; DL FO; SPG Gold; HH Gold
Originally Posted by cadillac6
yes I would say I do I would love to cancel the rest of my credit cards and just get amex plat! I have gold right now but one thing is holding me back! I am going to bermuda on saturday and I dont want to get approved...say tonight and then my gold is no good and i have to wait for the other card. I am going to give the cruise my gold so I could charge whatever to it and then when i get back apply for the platinum. Unless I apply and I can keep my gold valid until I get back in a week or so...please help!
First of all, I really hope you're planning on keeping at least one MC/Visa since of course Amex isn't universally accepted. Secondly, you already have an Amex Gold, so what you want to do is UPGRADE the card to a Platinum rather than submit a new application. This is a much simpler process and you keep the same card number (so you can use the old Gold card until the new one arrives, but it'll work the same as a Platinum other than looking different.) Call Amex to do an upgrade.

And finally, please make sure you're getting the Platinum for the correct reasons—there are far too many people posting who seem to want the Platinum or Centurion cards for spurious reasons. Keep in mind that the rewards program on the Rewards Plus Gold is superior to Platinum and other Amex cards. But if you know you'll get value out of FHR, perhaps lounge access, and the other benefits (use the search function and read Amex's small print), then by all means upgrade. You can always downgrade later and be prorated the annual fee difference on a monthly basis if you want to.

Edit: And when I say superior rewards, I mean for MR (Membership Rewards) cards. General consensus seems to be that earning Starpoints with an SPG Amex is superior—and that's what I do if there's no MR bonus, no DL bonus, and I'm not earning the GRP 2x/1.5x partner MR bonus. At $30/yr (first year free + 10k Starpoints as well), that card is most certainly worth looking into.

Last edited by karthik; Oct 25, 2006 at 7:30 pm