FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Key West (resort) [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Oct 24, 2006, 2:41 pm
Tmpy

Programs: HH Diamond, Starwood Platinum
We stayed at the Westin Key West 9/30 for 4 nights. This was an award stay that was booked through Hilton when they were running the hotel. Due to my Starwood Platinum Status, we were upgraded to a two room suite. The room was very nice and the Heavenly beds were in the room. Bathroom was a little worn and small but overall I’d give it a 5 rating on a scale 1-10. Balcony was tiny and hot due to the air conditioner blowing on the bottom of the plastic chair. Not much room to move away from it. Staff at the front desk were very friendly and the location of the hotel is great.

One day they informed us by letter under the door that the pool, bar and deck area were going to be closed for the day. We were issued passes to ride the boat to Sunset Key to use their facilities. There was a small beach area right down from the restaurant by the dock with lounge chairs and swimming allowed. It was beautiful there and the pool was so peaceful with wonderful mats for lounging in the pool and thick pads on chairs around the pool area. We used the pool for a few hours and there were only about 10 people there all from the Westin not Sunset Key. The grounds were immaculate, very quiet and the cottages were quaint.

The only downside I see about staying there is the transportation issue. The boat only runs certain hours of the day and you must make a reservation at night to use it. I would hate to be tied down to a time I had to return to Sunset Key. I guess I’m too spontaneous. I only saw one restaurant and the prices were very high. Now I know resort prices are higher than I like to spend at resorts, but a small Margarita at the pool along with a bottle of Corona added up to $20 and that was me going to the pool bar, no beverage service.

I’m sure it is a lovely place to relax and I'm glad I got the chance to see the property. It's probably a great place for a quiet or romantic get away, but to me it’s just not worth the price, points or trouble to use the water taxi.