FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Scam in Paris -- anyone know what the end result is?
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:40 am
Tiojelly

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat (life gold), SPG Gold
Scam in Paris -- anyone know what the end result is?

My wife and I were in Paris on a recent trip and had a great time. One curious thing happened, that I am sure was a setup or some scam, but we successfully avoided it and walked away. I am curious however what these people were trying to do.

We were crossing the Alma bridge and a guy steps in front of us and picks up a gold ring. My first thought was.... scam, probably wanted to "share" in this great find, and let me keep the ring, while I give him half the cash value -- of this likely priceless gem laying on the ground. We pushed past him. During the walk on the bridge I told my wife that I ignored the guy because there was something he wanted from us -- that I did not want to give -- she was not sure, until at the other end of the bridge, the same thing happened -- although with a not a slick 15 YO girl who sort of tossed the ring down in front of us for all of us to "discover" together. Being pretty amused -- we also pushed past her.

Does anyone know what was going on? The scam I pictured, or were they hoping we would just stand around and wait for a pickpocket???