FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Booking trains in India
View Single Post
Old Oct 17, 2006, 8:16 am
fabricoftruth

Programs: AA EXPPlat, UA 1K, 9W Silver, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WendyandPeter
We want to take the overnight train from Delhi to Kathgodan (the Raniket Express) on Monday 29 January 2007 and want to return on 9 February. I have been on the web site but don't seem to be able to book any more than 2 months ahead. Is it possible to book further ahead or should I just leave making the booking to later? How does the booking work? Do they mail or email confirmation/reservation documentation?

You can book all your tickets online - they have e-tickets, so you do not need the Indian mailing address that Yaatri mentioned (that was for i-tickets). You can book online at www.irctc.co.in (You will need to register, but it works fine). I have used this several times in the last few months and it works just fine - whats even better, I had to cancel a few tickets and it was the easiest cancellation I have done in a looooong time!

Also, you cannot book rail tickets more than 60 days in advance.

In case the irctc website is acting up while you are planning this, you could also find information on fares, routes, availability etc on www.indianrail.gov.in

Cheers,
FoT