FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is TSA seizing $145 "Nuke Alerts"? Can they be carried on?
Old Oct 16, 2006, 9:36 pm
studentff

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by skAAtinsteph
After reading the description - how are you able to comply with the turn off all electrical devices?
The requirement as quoted by many airlines is to turn off "anything with an on/off switch." Clearly alarm clocks and watches are not turned off, and neither is this thing.

I have on occasion considered removing the on-off switch from various electronic accessories to avoid this problem.

If the OP is concerned about confiscation by rogue TSAers (a reasonable fear given experiences posted on FT), I'd consider fashioning a cover for the radiation symbol emblazened on one side of the Nukalert; minus that symbol it looks like any old key fob. And of course toss it inside your carry-on, not in an open-air pocket luggage bin which invites looks and questions.

While the has been a single report on FT of "exotic" car keys being confiscated, I recall no reports of electronic key fobs being confiscated on domestic USA flights.