FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Friend died out of town- cost to fly his body home will be?
Old Oct 16, 2006, 7:15 pm
BuddyPass

Originally Posted by Clincher
I do have a question. If the decision is to cremate, can it be taken as carry on? I have heard this has been done in the past yet these days with the need to inspect everything, it seems complicated.
The current body to transport is from Prague. What if the family wants to cremate and the family does not want to check this package with checked bags?

This question is pretty cleancut, but TSA always has a way of making things harder than they need to be.

The last procedural notice we received from TSA was that cremated remains CAN be carried on. You must have your transit/disposition permit from the funeral home and the cremated remains must be clearly marked. They also MUST be in an urn that can be put through the security machines. NO METAL! I always suggest people keep them in the cardboard or plastic urn they receive from the crematory and then once they get home, have a funeral home put the ashes into the urn of their choice. If this isn't possible, opt for a wooden urn.

Some countries still require a special permit from the government of that country in order to take cremated remains into the country. TSA does not inforce this, but if you get stuck at customs, that would definitely be a problem.

Hope this helps.