FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Across the Globe in 5 Continents Again
View Single Post
Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:53 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Christchurch to Wellington (CHC-WLG) Economy Class on NZ A320

Yup once again I spotted the opportunity for a business seat domestically for the price of some extra time to get back and a couple of dollars extra taxes, with the added bonus of additional miles. So of course I nabbed it.

The gate area was very congested with a few flights all leaving around the same time from adjacent gates and all full. Boarding was called slightly late - if I'd known I could have waited a bit longer before coming across from the Qantas Club. Oh well.

Once again not all the business seats were taken! I'm fairly sure it wasn't due to active blocking but rather someone has changed or cancelled their flight.

Even though the expected flight duration was a short 30 minutes, you know it is going to be a long flight when even before the doors are closed the parent sitting diagonally behind you asks the FA for extra sick bags and towels because her son is really, really sick Sure enough within a minute of take off I hear the unmistakeable sound of retching. Well I guess it had to happen eventually - it has been literally hundreds of flights since I last had someone vomiting beside or behind me on a flight.

We do a pirouette over the city and along the landward edge of the Banks Peninsula volcanoes, getting some extra bumps along the way. Then alongside the coast. As we head further north the sinking sun beams through notches in the coastal cliffs creating wierd patterns in the shadows. The rivers carrying snowmelt are not directly visible from my seat, but clearly indicated by the fresh water tongue that is in sharp contrast to the dark deep saltwater.

The Kaikoura peninsula is obvious along with its 4 finger + a thumb shape of the rock formations at its tip.

Due to the shorter flight time (compared with between Auckland and Wellington or Auckland and Christchurch) there is no hot drink service only cold water and the boiled sweets just before landing. It's a shame that it is considered too short - it wasn't too many years prior that it got a full meal service. While I understand the changes (and with the improved lounge offerings, current CHC temporary closure notwithstanding, an overall benefit to frequent flyers) were necessary, I would think there would be at least enough time for coffee or tea as well as water.

Some more bumps coming in to Wellington, but mild for this city as it appears the wind has died down significantly.