FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Across the Globe in 5 Continents Again
View Single Post
Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:28 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Christchurch to Wanaka (CHC-WKA) Economy Class on NZ Beech 1900D

I leave the Qantas Club a few minutes before boarding is due, since there are no calls made there and the monitors only show a small number of NZ flights (for some odd reason?). I had first checked online Air NZ's website to see that the flight was on time and not delayed.

The flight was fairly empty and so boarding was late but it only takes a minute for us all to cross the tarmac to the aircraft and get seated. I was glad I'd remembered not to preselect the first two rows which have no windows on this aircraft.

As we taxiied I noticed a couple of big old aircraft being loaded up for flights to the New Zealand and US Antarctic bases at McMurdo Sound and Scott Base. Our takeoff roll into the wind is very short and we are soon heading across the plains to the mountains.

The storm cloud is still obscuring a lot of the view of the mountains, but here and there they part to give glimpses of the inner valleys, gorges and brimming rivers. Further along we also get snippets of views of the glacial and hydro lakes.

The approach into Wanaka is dramatic - a shame it was so cloudy. Not quite as enclosed as Queenstown, it is still a basin that you descend into, twisting down the valleys to avoid the mountains towering on each side. Below the powerful Clutha river gouges its tortuous path lower into the landscape.

The airport is very small. On the short distance between runway and apron I notice a speed camera - presumably to pick up the a/c regos for landing fees during times the airport is unmanned. I waved to it The terminal is like a small shed. Toilet is outside. A couple of vending machines for those who need food and drink.