FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Quick Point -- Being young and elite
View Single Post
Old Oct 15, 2006, 9:46 am
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Sometimes, it may even be about our "filters" and prior experiences. Meaning, if someone did discriminate against you because of your early age in another setting, you might be sensitized to that and interpret other slights - e.g. a grouchy G.A. who had other reasons to upgrade the "olds," but you felt it was because of an age issue. It's pretty human.

I was discriminated against in two job applications (I determined later) because the "powers that hire" decided - on the basis of my first name, for Pete's sake! - that I did not have the attributes they wanted in an employee. (Yes, I was able to verify both instances; in the second, more egregious one, I confronted the Director of Personnel to change things rather than sue and get a nice early retirement.) Those sensitized me to the point I sometimes find myself wondering if... and performing a reality check, because we tend to personalize when it doesn't serve us.

Not saying the upgrade experience wans't, I am merely warning about a common human tendency. May the rest of your flying AA be righ and rewarding; my nearly 60 years of flying AA have been... interesting!