FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Across the Globe in 5 Continents Again
View Single Post
Old Oct 14, 2006, 9:40 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Auckland to Christchurch (AKL-CHC) Economy Class on NZ A320

Yup still going. Another day and another trip out to the airport. I was tired and fell asleep before we'd gone 2 blocks, yet so familiar am I with the route that I woke up at the final roundabout before the airport.

At quick check I get an error message "unable to check in due to too many sectors" or similar so I head to the premium check in line. I had deliberately chosen this flight as opposed to another one which also connected well, as this is one of very few domestically that use an international aircraft and thus has (shorthaul) business seats. Furthermore I preselected said business seat and made sure my Air NZ frequent flyer number was loaded (rather than another one I actually want to credit the points to) so that I wouldn't lose the in high-demand seat. It worked and at check in I switched FFP number. I got a wad of boarding passes and the agent says I don't know why quick check didnt work because here they all are. I didn't have the heart to tell her, no actually missing the last segment.

Through security and back to the lounge, saying hi to the same lounge agents again. I grab a breakfast and catch up on some work plus browse FT for a bit. Then it is time to board. Surprisingly not all the business seats were taken despite being a moderately full flight so I had real luxury for a domestic flight of being able to spread out.

We have a short taxi and soon are heading south above an extensive cloud sheet. There is no view at all of the North Island or upper South Island, and it is only as we descend that we clear the cloud and see the plains bordered by rolling hills before us. The mountains themselves are shrouded behind a long wall of storm cloud which is like a veil over them. The braided rivers are bursting and swift flowing, a clear sign that the spring melt is well underway. With the strong westerlies we do a loop over the city to land towards the mountains and cloud.

On arrival I head to the Koru Club, which is currently undergoing renovations (complete in a few days time - rotten timing on my part). The interim arrangements consist of a voucher to buy some overpriced food and drink at a little cafe that has been set up alongside the boarded up entrance. It doesn't look appealing, and since I see I still have plenty of time until boarding for my onward flight I head to the Qantas Club - a few minutes walk away and through security.