FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Across the Globe in 5 Continents Again
View Single Post
Old Oct 14, 2006, 1:48 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Auckland to Christchurch (AKL-CHC) Economy Class on QF 737

With the redevelopment of the domestic terminals (first stage putting in more shops and connecting up the NZ and QF terminals landside), the little cafe and bookshop have moved positions and there is less room at check in. Fortunately it is quiet with few passengers or hangers on. Check in quickly and head through security to the lounge. Grab a shower (collect towel & soap from reception if you don't have your own), a couple of drinks and check my email and FT.

I'd been saying to another FTer that in all my dozens of Qantas domestic flights within New Zealand I'd yet to come across a 734 with the convertible business seats at the front. Maybe I've just been really unlucky but I almost always get the all economy configuration, and only rarely get the 8 old business seat configuration. Qantas, like Air New Zealand, does not sell business class for New Zealand domestic flights and so a nice perk of having high status is getting a business seat when the aircraft happens to be so configured (as they are for Jet Connect's trans-tasman runs).

Anyway, this time I got lucky and get the convertible seat. While I prefer the old business seat, this is still much better than the all economy config (with narrow first row seats which I nearly always end up with). By way of comparison, this convertible seat offers about the same comfort level as AA's domestic first in MD80. It's no luxury but better than a squeezy seat for the 80 minute flight.

I notice the safety video wording has changed a little. Yes they still have the "sutterly every aircraft is different" bit, but no longer refer to "you almost certainly will be sitting in a different seat" which always used to crack me up since at least 80% of the time I get the exact same seat.

Due to the time of day as well as the complimentary tea or coffee, water and choice of hot danish or cheese & crackers, there is a pay bar available (beer and wine only). The FAs do a couple of rounds.

There isn't much of a view as the mountains are obscured by cloud tumbling over them from the west, and the South Island coastal area is blanketed in low cloud thanks to the nor'easter.