FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Across the Globe in 5 Continents Again
View Single Post
Old Oct 13, 2006, 9:44 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Auckland to Whakatane (AKL-WHK) Economy Class on NZ Jetstream 32 (operated by Air National)

A day later it was time to head back to the airport. There really is no rest for the wicked it seems. At check in I head straight for the quick check kiosks. Half of them have signs saying out of order I grab my boarding pass in seconds, after first checking there are no better seats available, and head through security to the lounge. The security guy asks am I sure I don't have anything in my pockets that will set the alarm off, most people do you know; and I make an effort to be nice (hey its early and I haven't had a coffee yet) and simply say sure with a smile.

I grab a breakfast, annoyed that the coffee machine is on the blink and only working intermittently (while the second one remains unused). Once again the computers aren't working properly but the attendant soon gets them going again ^ For those keeping track the beers have changed again and only 14 quality beer varieties in the fridge this time.

Boarding is called 10 minutes before departure and I make my way to the prop gates at the far end of the terminal. Apparently general call in the terminal was made a few minutes ago as they are waiting for me - I did go straight there when the call was made (having already logged off the computer beforehand).

The flight is moderately full so no room to stretch out in the cramped seating of the J32. I see an Air NZ 747 taxi ahead of us and take off, followed by an Air NZ 777 and Thais A340 both landing. Then it is our turn, with a short roll we are airborne with still more than 2km or runway ahead of us, as usual for a prop swiftly turning over the harbour.

We didn't get much of a view until past the Kaimais. The very strong and gusty winds outside not noticeable other than by the marks of their presence for the observant - the cloud banked up against the ranges, the scattered high level cloud torn parallel with the wind in very long streaks like teased wool fibres, and even far below we could see the rough seas and short swell perpendicular to the flow. At least there was no turbulence until just before landing when we turned about to the wind over the township and landed across the rolling fields.

The strip is small as expected and in a lovely setting. The plains with windswept grass flanked on all sides by hills and volcanoes, a short distance off the other side is the sea and a small island. The terminal is quaint. No services and just small enough to swing a cat in, it has an upper level complete with tiny balcony - if you brought your own supplies it would be like a personal lounge!