FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Centurion replacement for Starwood Platinum status -- any rumors yet?
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:33 am
ILUVCITIBANK

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
Pardon my cynicism, but if this involves AMEX, "changes", aka "enhancements", are mostly "take-backs" and dilution of benefits coupled w/ doublespeak language intended to fool the [typically uninformed] consumer or cardholder that a takeback = a true improvement.

Rarely is there ever a true positive change (ie NEW and IMPROVED benefits) in the world of affinity programs. The clear model is to a) roll out some new program, and then b) begin to dilute and reduce benefits until the program goes kaput from lack of interest (new sign-ups). AMEX has milked MR far too long and IMO has done a marvelous job of it...if that were my corporate objective.

RE: Starwood's new BUSINESS/starwood optima rollout: I don't even grant this change w/ the introduction of the starwood business card to be much of a "benefit" or "innovative initiative"...more like it is merely countering the status quo whereby Hilton is *already and has been* offering HHONORS GOLD for a given spend amount now for a year or more ? offering 2-3x starpoints for expenses at a starwood property ? Also merely catching up to competition.

So time will tell. As for me, I won't hold my breath on AMEX improving MR or improving perk CENT package.