FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Great lost luggage experience
View Single Post
Old Jun 12, 2001, 10:49 am
Zorro

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Great lost luggage experience

I flew HKG-JFK-FRA-LHR recently on *A RTW ticket (tailend, expiring within 3 days) and checked my luggage with UA in HKG all the way through to LHR. I arrived JFK 2040 local time, and was booked on LH to FRA at 23.55. After fighting my way through US customs I rechecked my luggage for the FRA and LHR sectors and made my way to T1 for LH. When I got into the Terminal I saw that the SQ leaving at 21.40 was a bit late and on Last call, and ran to the SQ check in and asked whether they had a seat left. I wanted to book that flight in the first place, but obviously 1 hour is not enough in JFK. Official min connecting time is 2h.

They had a place, but warned me that my luggage would not make it. 5 min later I was on the plane, and ten minutes later we took off. Arriving in FRA 3 hours earlier than anticipated I could get a better connection to LHR, and tried to find out the whereabouts of my luggage. The LH girl in the Senator Lounge in B was very helpful but could not locate it. At the gate I tried again, and they confirmed that the bag was not on board, and that I should make report in LHR.

After landing I went straight to the LH lost luggage desk to make my report. The girl was incredibly nice, offered me GBP 180 for emergency clothes (If you keep them after the luggage arrives, they refund 50%, if you return it to LH they refund 100%. Underpants and socks are refunded 100% even if not returned !)

She told me that she would call me at the hotel before her shift ended (8pm), whether it had been found or not. At 7.30 pm she rang, said that it had just arrived and cleared customs. At 9.05pm it was at the hotel !

Given all the bad lost luggage experience (about 20% of flights that I check bags) in the past, I was shocked at such friendly and professional treatment, especially given that it was my fault, and I had dumped LH for SQ, and had accepted that the bag would not arrive with me.

I did not bill LH for any clothes.