FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Four Points (Darling Harbour), Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]
Old Oct 9, 2006, 3:43 pm
ldsant
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by nymets
I just returned from a one night stay at the Four Points in Sydney and it was a very bad experience.

I had e-mailed the hotel in advance that I would like to be accomodated upon my 11AM arrival as my wife and I had taken an overnight flight. Obviously, I shouldn't expect a room to be given to me unless one was available. When I checked in at the front desk, I was incorrectly recognized as an SPG Gold (I am actually Platinum) and was told that no rooms would be available until 3 pm. When I asked "are you certain there aren't any rooms available in the entire hotel?", the woman said, "come back in an hour or two".

After sitting down for a couple minutes, I decided to stand on line once again and check in with a different agent. He was able to accomodate me immediately and explained that there was plenty of availability. He only granted me a Gold upgrade and upon arriving in the room, we noticed that the room was extremely worn down and small.

After calling reception again, the operator arranged for reservations to call SPG directly to confirm my Platinum status. Finally, around 1PM, I was given a proper room. I have stayed at numerous Starwood hotels, and this stay was by far the worst. I was not given a Platinum amenity or even an apology for this terrible lapse in service.

In retrospect, we should have stayed at a Sydney airport hotel since we had a flight the next morning. However, I assumed that we would be treated better at this hotel.

I completely understand that the Four Points Sydney usually takes care of its Plats (suites are usually automatic), but I needed to share this instance.
I'm confused - what was so terrible about this stay? Usual check-in is 3 PM for most hotels and you had a room provided at 11 AM. Suites are not automatic btw - the T&C is the next best room available.

Did you ask what the Plat amenity is at the property? I'm sorry, from your posting I don't see what the "terrible lapse in service" actually was.