FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The ultimate UPGRADE thread
View Single Post
Old Oct 9, 2006, 1:24 am
charleyq

Programs: BA, Qantas, singapore airlines, Cathay
That Elusive Upgrade

Sorry to say but as a BA Gold card for over 4 years - i regularly get upgrades from Club World to First ( around 50% of the time....) and often from Traveller to Club within Europe, so much so that I now feel positively disappointed when I don't get them.

Not sure if it's because i fly over 200K miles a year and under 30 and female but..... never have to ask when travelling on paid ticket. I was once told by check in once that you'll never get in 1st if you are wearing jeans so now always travel in anything but jeans.

It also seems to happen more often on fuller flights or if I don't get my seat preference, simply ask if there is anything better ( not actually ask for aun upgrade) and it usually works.

Only times I do specifically ask are when I am flying on miles and unashamedly ask for me and companion and normally get a good response at least into WT+ and sometimes club.

I did get the odd upgrade at Silver but things really took off at gold flying out of LHR all the time, now living in Asia things are tougher as the switch from BA to Asian miles really is a killer since so many people here travel so often that gold is less of a perk...but have still had the odd upgrade back to Europe.