FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Retention bonus
Thread: Retention bonus
View Single Post
Old Oct 5, 2006, 7:22 am
jamesteroh
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I would be surprised if DC is even around in a few more years.

When I originally received the card it was great. I received 1,000 points a month for the first year as a bonus if I used the card just once.

It used to be good on any airline I used. I usually fly delta, northwest and Southwest. It was $1,000 spent for 1,000 miles on NWA and Delta or $1,000 spent for 1 credit on SWA. Now you can't even get NWA miles and it's $1,500 miles for 1 credit on SWA. That is a 50% increase! And you have to pay money or use extra points to get those credits now. My southwest visa is only $39 a year and it's $1,200 spent for 1 credit and no fees involved for the credits. My delta Am Ex is probably about the same fee as my diner's and there are no fees for the miles and they are always running promos. This summer it was 2 miles for every $1 charged and a lot of merchant's it's always 2 miles for every $1 charged.

Diner's restaraunt program used to pay for the card itself. 3 places I dine at regularly used to offer a 20% credit. It was reduced to 10%. Now it doesn't exist. Diner's said they were working on a replacement program and I have heard nothing of this new program.

Diner's used to offer 2 months to pay the balance. This was reduced to 1 month.

For foreign transactions, not only is their exchange rate awful, there is a 3 percent fee and the fee doesn't earn miles (a lot of credit cards now charge this fee but it's added into the purchase and you get miles and it is also easier to use for reporting purposes that way). WIth my credit union visa, I get at least a 2% better exchange rate and don't pay the 3% fee. Even though I don't get miles, 5% is pretty expensive for a surcharge for the miles.

When my card is up for renewal in April the only wawy I am keeping it is if they waive the fee. I would recomend going with a credit card with the airline or hotel you frequent most.