FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Across the Globe in 5 Continents Again
View Single Post
Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:56 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Los Angeles to Chicago O'Hare (LAX-ORD) First Class on AA MD80

Back at the airport and through security to the lounge. The lounge bouncer directed me to the Admirals Club side and gave me drink chits until I pointed out I was Emerald and thus able to use the Flagship Lounge. Why is it that bouncers increasingly seem to not read the boarding pass properly? Drink chits were hastily withdrawn and substituted by the access card. I had a drink before heading across to the Admirals Club side to use the computer terminals to catch up on emails and FT of course.

I notice the time and head down to the gate. Boarding is delayed while cleaning is finished, but not so much that it is worthwhile going back to the lounge.

Mindful that US-based airlines allow much more carry-ons (and observing the gate lounge that situation seems to be almost back to normal in contrast to my previous US trip in August when far less carry-ons were being used), I made sure to board with the first group to claim my overhead bin space. Just as well too as the bins filled up and some unhappy passengers had to stow bags many rows behind their seat. This red-eye flight is totally full.

We push back 30 minutes late but expect to make up time in flight (which we do). There was no pre-departure drinks but I get some water and nuts shortly after take off. FEBO is being used (served in order from Front on Even numbered flight, would be Back on Odd numbered flight). That is the extent of the meal.

The seat is not particularly comfortable. Much wider and softer than economy/coach, but the headrest is too low, there is a part of seatback digging in to my lower back making reclining uncomfortable, the legroom is too short to stretch out. Together with the light and noise from FAs (especially when they move a cart in and out of position to block off toilet while they are chatting with each other and with pilots), it makes sleep difficult despite my tiredness from sleep shortage the last several days.

As we approach Chicago we get a lightning display out the windows, sufficiently far away to not be obscured through rain or cloud, and thus also no turbulence. We land in the 5am darkness and in moments I am through to the lounge and freshening up with a shower and coffee.

I am not looking forward to the further red-eyes I have to come.