FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Recliner Blocker
View Single Post
Old Oct 1, 2006, 5:07 pm
dragon888

Originally Posted by tom911
That could be done right now, with a corresponding increase in fares to make up for the lost seats. Are you willing to pay more for every trip you take?
Admittedly the cost aspect is the primary arguement against humane treatment of coach passengers. I suspect (as a newbe here) that most members are business class and very experienced travellers. Through good fortune and some luck I have tasted the forbidden fruit of the business class. Wow, big comfy seats with lots of gadgets to entertain me and food, real food. Oh, wine as well. Sleeping is easy. When I compare my first experience in long distance coach travel to business class I realize there is no comparison---only contrast. Go back to 1978 and picture yourself on that famous carrier, Trans International Airlines "TIA" going from San Fran to Hong Kong. Cramped tiny seats, overhead luggage containers preloaded prior to boarding with someone extra bags. No toilet paper 2 hours into flight and no toilets at all after 3 hours.
Leave your seat for a few minutes and the oblivious elderly lady next to you has filled your foot space with a twine-tied cardboard box. Reclining is impossible (and this before the 'knee defender'). A landing in Alaska so hard it could be considered a controlled crash. But I digress.
Since then conditions have improved but the comfort level of coach is still scandelous. And even dangerous--think DVT.
AS a lay person and not as a business type or economist I look at the issue this way. You have revenue and expenses. Revenue must always be greater to stay in business. The only exception to this rule is the government. So if I cut out 20% of coach seats I have a loss of revenue. Bad.
I must cut costs or increase revenue or both. Lets cut out meals, snacks, beverages, earphone pillows, blankets, and newspapers. Charge extra for heavy bags and make sure there is no chance to weigh your bag prior to check-in. Charge a premium for passengers who are larger than normal based on body weight and size statistics from 1955. Dramatically increase the fines and penalties against passengers who are 5 minutes late of the 90 minute check-in because they got stuck in security. Deny boarding and sell your paid seat to a standby.
But what is really practical? Increase the fare price of a coach seat and let the market take care of the problem. Remember if all airlines are forced to provide minimum standards of comfort then none of them can complain of being disadvantaged. They are all in the same boat (or plane). People will pay more. Look at what happened with gas prices recently. Gasoline can go to $5 a gallon and people will still drive their Lincoln Navigator. Remember when smokers said:" When it goes to $1 a pack I'm quitting!"
Now here is the really controversial suggestion. Give me a minute to put on my flame proof coveralls and pre-apologise to those affected. Increase the price of business class tickets. After all most of them are paid, not by the passenger but by the employer or other corporate entity that is claiming a tax deduction. BTW if it were federal law that executives of all publicly held airlines were required to travel only by coach on any airline you would see an immediate change in attitude on their part. Yes I would pay more for a bigger, better coach seat.