FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Recliner Blocker
View Single Post
Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:15 pm
dragon888

Recliner Blocker

I recently saw an ad for a little piece of plastic designed to surreptitiously slip over or somehow attach to the recliner mechansim of the far-to-close 3rd class seat ahead of you. The passenger struggles to recline---to no avail. FA cannot help. He resigns himself to sitting upright in a "broken" seat for the next 6 hours. So now you can eat you dinner instead of wearing it. And even read the newspaper. Selfish, illegal and rude? Has anyone had an encounter with this device?
An aside. I know the airlines need every dime of revenue they can squeeze from a flyer. Cutting out 20% of coach seats to install bigger seats with greater pitch and recline would show that airlines do care about comfort and safety. But that immediately puts them at a disadvantage with competitors. Solution. A law modeled on Cruelty to Animals legislation could make it mandatory for any passenger plane travelling in American airspace to provide minimum space requirements to all humans on board. Because the law would apply to all airlines no one rogue carrier could cheat. I know this idea is simplistic and there must be a ready rebuttal but I don't what it is.