FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Society Hill, Philadelphia [Master Thread]
Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:14 pm
RPRocket

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Gold, DL FO, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Sheraton Society Hill - Philly (am I too picky?)

Just completed a 2 night stay at this property per the advice of this Board. While I haven't stayed at the nearby Westin or Sheraton City Center that this board universally pans, there were some positives at this property.

Despite some of the fears raised on this board, the rooms are comfortable and quiet. I was on the 3rd floor and the room was fine, equipped with the Sweet Sleeper bed and decent linens.

The bathrooms are below standard for a property like this (IMHO), especially the awkward door that swings out into the main room - quite annoying really.

On the "nitpicky" side, I found most of the service elements quite poor.

(1) Upon checkin, I inquired about a room upgrade and was told "sold out"/nothing available, etc.... I got upto the room and logged and low and behold I could "purchase" a room on the Club Floor as well as a junior suite. I chose not to call down and complain/inquire as this is just too much of a hassle and I'm sure most of the time, the hotel is counting on this type of non-response.

Although I am a "lowly Gold", there is just something disingenuous about the way these "non-upgrades" are handled. I know from perusing this board that my experience is hardly unique and many times simple upgrades (not the Presidential Suite) are available and routinely not given.

How about a bit of honesty and forthrightness? A "sorry Mr. RPRocket, we don't upgrade Golds" might bring a little less distrust than the outright falsehoods proffered by the front desk folks.

(2) As I pulled in with my vehicle, I waited at the mandatory valet counter (no self parking) for a solid 5-7 minutes before leaving the vehicle and proceeding to check in. Nary a valet or bell captain could be found. Upon completing check-in, I explained the absence of valet personnel to the front desk and asked if they would handle the parking of my vehicle. To my astonishment, he said no - I would have to handle it myself and he could do nothing. He offered to ring the valet desk and told me to go back to me vehicle (with all of my luggage in tow) and wait. So wait I did - finally someone shows up and without a greeting, proceeds to give the car the full "Rent A Car" nicks and dings assessment before he accepts the keys. Am I at a full service hotel?

(3) Check out. The bill arrives under the door during the evening and contains an error, which the front des mercifully corrected. Upon inquiring for a new folio/receipt with the revised charges, I am told they cannot print receipts with "zero" balances and that if I wanted an accurate statement I was free to call accounting?

(4) Valet Reprise. At around 415am this morning (I had a 6am flight). I called down to my friends in valet parking and gave them my ticket number. Fair enough. After sauntering down to checkout around 430, someone from the bell desk approached the check out desk and asks if I have a car I need retrieved. Fair enough, I told him I already called down but gave him my name and ticket number once more. After making my way out from expecting the vehicle, the same man is just sitting around. After 5 mins, I inquire where might my vehicle be. He flustered around cluelessly, made a couple of calls and couldn't figure out what had happened. 15-20 minutes later, he along with my vehicle arrive and Mr. Valet says "someone had your car but left the keys in it". Whatever that means.

So ... while none of these inconveniences were truly disastrous, the fact that the running theme at this property seemed to be "Bad Service at Every Customer Touchpoint", I'm asking myself if my expectations are out of line for a property of this caliber (mid-tier).