FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Le Merigot Santa Monica, CA (former JW) [Master Thread]
Old Sep 27, 2006, 7:30 pm
LPCJr

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Great property!

As promised, I am reporting back after a three-night stay last week.

Overall, this is one of the best Marriott properties I've stayed at.

Some highlights:

-- Given large room with a spacious patio with table/chairs/umbrella and decent view of the ocean. ^
-- Even though it's a resort, I received a $15 credit for breakfast each day, without asking.
-- Staff was attentive and pleasant.
-- Delightful public spaces - the outdoor lounge, lobby area, and lobby bar were all very nice
-- Outdoor seating at Cezanne was great for enjoying breakfast near the ocean.
-- Bed was extremely comfortable, and the bath towels were the biggest and thickest I've ever seen.
-- Asked for toothpaste and shaving cream due to the carry-on ban - provided at no charge with no hassle.
-- Larger array of newspapers than usual (WSJ, USA Today, LA Times, NYT).

Minor negatives:
-- Though service was always very prompt, $30 for valet parking (without the option to self-park) seems excessive given that Santa Monica is not exactly midtown Manhattan.
-- While I was very appreciative of the breakfast credit, I was somewhat disappointed that there was no buffet (I don't think I've ever stayed at a Marriott that didn't offer a buffet option). When pressed for time in the morning, not having to wait to be served would be a plus.
-- For a "Resort", the pool was kind of pitiful. I had visions of the Renaissance Esmeralda when I envisioned what the pool might be like here. Very very small.
-- No ice machines. I was really puzzled about this. They are supposed to bring you ice at turn down service. One night, they missed my turndown. They also say they will bring you ice upon request. Just seems like a hassle. Put in an ice machine and I'll get it myself.
-- I had several FedEx packages waiting for me at arrival. It took 3 requests to get them to deliver them to my room. Normally, I'd be really annoyed, but service overall was so good that I didn't complain about this one minor issue.
-- Charge for 800 calls exceeding 20 minutes. This didn't affect me, and as a Plat, I'm sure I wouldn't have paid, but what gives? The call doesn't cost the hotel anything, and free 800 calls seems to be standard Marriott policy at every other property.

Not exactly a criticism of the hotel, but I was amazed by the sheer number of vagrants in the area, especially on the beach. For not being a major city, I was really surprised by the number of homeless in Santa Monica. It seems highly disproportionate to the size of the city.

I would definitely stay here again. Having also stayed at the Marina del Rey Marriott (about 3 miles away), I'd consider Le Merigot a superior alternative (albeit somewhat pricier).