FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Egyptair internal flights Business vs Economy
Old Sep 26, 2006, 4:31 am
Phil the Flyer

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Jiffy
Folks:

I will be traveling DXB-CAI-SFO-CAI-DXB route quite often, and have been quoted attractive deals on MS (transatlantic) and AA within USA. Can any one of you answer the following question:

- How is translatlantic flight CAI-JFK experience with MS. Are C class seats comparable to other airlines (flat bed), any idea about food, FA's etc.
- How good is airport lounge (Internet access is quite important to me
- How is baggage handling, in time flights etc.

Any pointers will be appreciated. Thanks.
Jiffy - I write as someone who is based in CAI appprox 10 months of the year, having worked as an expat in Egypt for more than 10 years.

If you have the choice of flying through CAI or not, and also have the choice of flying MS or not, I'd be inclined to say don't on both counts.

While I find Cedar Jet's comments re: CAI airport as being somewhat OT - yes, the lounges are a joke by western standards, no, customs and immigration is not a horror event (given their economic reliance on tourists, officials are polite and courteous in 99% of cases), in fact I have had worse experiences at the likes of IAD - it is undeniable that the airport does not measure up to other facilities in the region; e.g. BAH, DXB.

I would have thought you are far better off using an airline that gives you miles and status in one of the three main alliances; e.g. BA (DXB-LHR / LHR-SFO), or a combination of EK (DXB-JFK) with an alliance airline.

Of course, if you have to stopover in CAI for a specific purpose the above is of no use. However in that case I still wouldn't fly MS, but again go with a 'better quality' airline via an intermediate European airport.

As a completely alternative idea - why not fly the other way around the world (over the Pacific) with the likes of SQ, or even buy RTW tickets? They can be much better value than point to point tickets.