FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying with Dogs (Literally)
View Single Post
Old Sep 25, 2006, 3:15 pm
exerda
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DimSum
Does anyone have any experience traveling with dogs on United? For example:
My wife and I traveled with one of our dogs last year.

I understand that there are limited numbers of dog "seats" available for Economy and First Class.
Two in Y, and one in F, I believe.

If I use an award ticket for First Class, can I travel with my dog using the First Class slot? If my dog is traveling with a friend and I upgrade her to First Class, can my dog take the First Class slot traveling with her?
Yes, and yes.

What is the difference between the Economy dog slots and the First Class dog slots? Is there a difference in treatment of the dogs themselves, or is this just a way to control the number of dogs-per-flight?
Just a way to control # of dogs, to help potentially limit exposure for those who may be allergic, limit disruptions onboard (if only they had a per-flight baby limit! ), etc. No difference in treatment.

Dogs carried onboard must fit in their carrier under the seat in front of you (and thus you cannot have a bulkhead seat), and may not be removed from their carrier during flight.

Can the 1k desk help me with dog travel or would I just get shuffled off somewhere to a dog-travel-specialty-desk?
The 1K desk can handle it. The 1P line took care of arrangements for me last year. They have to make sure there is space available on the flight, and will reserve a "slot" for the dog(s). You then pay at check-in; when we flew, it was $60 for our flights on UA (total for DCA-ORD-JAX), and $100 for our flights on US (total for JAX-CLT-DCA).